The Promenade De Verdun
EXPLICITLY REFLECTED IN ITS NAME, PROMENADE DE VERDUN, ESTABLISHED IN 1922 SERVES TO COMMEMORATE FRENCH SACRIFICES ON THE WESTERN FRONT INCLUDING VERDUN IN 1916.
The memorial landscape consists of a long straight road leading up to a Grade II listed obelisk memorial acting as its focal point. The east side of the road is bordered by Lombardy Poplar trees imported from France and planted in a mixture of English soil and imported French soil.
The French soil was donated by the French Minister of the Interior with 10 tons being transported from the Field of the Explosion near Armentieres in French Flanders where the British and French had fought side by side in late 1914.
Road charges including sinking fund are £200 per annum.